The Fabbrica di San Martino was founded in 1735 in the hills outside of the town of Lucca. A 20 hectare property surrounded by woodland, its two and a half hectares of vines are exposed full south and sit within an area of great biological diversity.
Having run one of Lucca’s favourite trattorie for many years, Giuseppe Ferrua began tending the vines here some 20 years ago.
Without any formal training, Giuseppe learnt by working alongside and watching carefully the ageing contadini who had looked after the land for many years. Having discovered that this isolated vineyard had never been subject to chemicals, Giuseppe decided to continue this way of growing, later converting the farm to biodynamics.
As is so often the case, a healthy vineyard yields healthy wines and the thing that struck us about these when visiting the area were their purity and drinkability, two characteristics that are sadly missing from a lot of wines in Toscana today.